Powered By Blogger

Thursday 9 April 2009

Diet

It occurred to me that, though the purpose of the blog is to talk about my training and effect on blood glucose (BG), it might be a good idea to list my diet and novorapid/levemir amounts. I almost always start the day with a 75g of scottish porridge oats mixed with 5tbsp of natural yoghurt, followed by a couple of pieces of seeded/granary toast with marmite and a glass of banana and strawberry smoothie. It totals about 130 carbs and I took 4 units of novo at about 07:00 this morning (some mornings I have a couple of poached eggs for the protein but not today). At 10:15 my BG was 6.3 and I took a single dextrose tablet before getting in a 2,500m swim at about 10:40. After a bit of time relaxing in the sauna I took my BG at 11:45, which was 5.6. A low-carb (2g) protein shake later and I was back to work. For lunch, at 13:15, I had a turkey, lettuce and tomato sandwich with very light mayo in two slices of seeded bread, an apple, a clementine, a bag of baked crisps (love crisps) and a piece of cheddar cheese; I have still lunch pretty much everyday too. It totals about 95 carbs and I took 4 units of novo. As it began to rain on my way home, I opted for a gym session and my BG was 4.1 at 14:40 (a little too much insulin) and so, in true healthy style, I had a bar of chocolate (35g carbs) and cycled for 1hr 20mins but I was getting bored and couldn't muster the enthusiasm to keep going; plus the weather was getting much nicer. So I had a carb/protein bar (23g) and went out running for an hour and a half, covering about 20km, which I was happy with for this stage of training. I had a dextrose tablet after about an hour and my BG was 6.2 at 17:30. Another protein shake (I normally have roast chicken and almonds; sometimes sardines from the can) and I headed home for dinner. Feeling I'd done my bit today I had a steak pie in shortcrust pastry, chips cut from a baked potato with a mound of broccoli and mange-tout; oh yeah, nearly forgot, a small choc. ice :) It was about 105 carbs and I took 8 units of novo along with 20 levemir, which I always take at dinner. Levemir is normally about 16-18 but has just knocked up a little recently for some odd reason (I've had a cold?). I'm working tomorrow but I expect to get a good swim and a weights session in; I'll post again over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment