Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 April 2009

Stomach Bug

No training this weekend, as beautiful as the weather was and as much as a couple of long bike rides had been yearned for, I caught a bug on Friday that laid me out for, well, three days so far...my metabolism's dropped massively and I'm on double my usual Novorapid levels; though I've barely eaten anything more than ice-cream. Being diabetic and ill is a real pain in the butt (and I'm only injecting in my stomach at the moment), having to eat when your stomach is really telling you that it's a remarkably bad idea is still something I haven't got used to and I definitely get bugs a bit more frequently than I did in my pre-diabetic twenties. I never get laid low for more than a day or two but remember going to a job interview and them asking how many days I'd missed through illness over the past year and I couldn't remember being ill for about the past five; having said that, my long-term memory's not great! So, anyway, I decided to go for ice-cream and have a bit of a guess at my insulin requirement, which was miles off and I hypoed badly, which forced me to put more crap into my stomach and feel worse again; diabetes is so fun...but it's a battle that I'll win and continue to do so on a daily basis. I consoled myself by watching the Paris-Roubaix cycle race, thought Tom Boonen was a little fortunate that all his rivals forgot how to cycle but as soon as he got the lead he did look awesome, I'm sure I can replicate it in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment